Electronic Case Reporting
Your facility will need to register at the California Reportable Disease Information Exchange (CalREDIE) eCR Registration Portal if you intend to send electronic initial case reports (eICR) for Title 17 Section 2500 reportable conditions to the California Reportable Disease Information Exchange (CalREDIE) within the CDPH Division of Communicable Disease Control. Healthcare providers within Los Angeles, San Diego, and Solano counties please check in with your local health department for instructions on how to register and submit eICRs for your jurisdiction.
- CMS Promoting Interoperability Programs
- Onboarding Process
- Helpful Resources
CMS Promoting Interoperability Programs
- CMS renamed the EHR Incentive Programs to the Promoting Interoperability Programs in April 2018. This change moved the programs beyond the existing requirements of meaningful use to a new phase of EHR measurement with an increased focus on interoperability and improving patient access to health information.
- Please see the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services website for Promoting Interoperability Programs requirements for the current fiscal year by going to https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/EHRIncentivePrograms.
Prerequisites of eCR Onboarding
- eCR is for healthcare providers treating patients.
- Healthcare provider's facility must have an EHR system.
- Registering for eCR indicates the entire healthcare facility is seeking to onboard with eCR, and all leadership approvals have been granted.
- CalREDIE eCR Registration - Must be completed first
- Enrollment & Onboarding with APHL Informatics Messaging Service (AIMS)
- Contact eCR@CDC.gov to express your interest and learn more about AIMS onboarding and connectivity.
- Partner with your EHR vendor to discuss options for implementing eCR in accordance with the HL7 CDA guidelines for eCR.
ORutilize the eCR Now FHIR App for COVID-19.
- Contact eCR@CDC.gov to determine which eCR data sharing policy is best suited for your facility.
- eCR utilizes a single point of connection for reporting. Carequality and eHealth Exchange policies for eCR will cover the majority of interested providers with little to none additional steps required.
- CalREDIE eCR staff will contact your facility to begin testing. In partnership with AIMS, your facility will test sending live electronic initial case reports (eICRs) to the CalREDIE Staging (testing) environment.
- A period of parallel production begins. Until explicitly notified by CalREDIE, continue reporting through your current reporting method while eICRs are being reviewed in the CalREDIE Staging (testing) environment for data quality.
- CalREDIE eCR staff will contact you to finalize your facility's move to CalREDIE Production.
- Continue to implement updates from the Electronic Reporting and Surveillance Distribution (eRSD) and check for communications from the CalREDIE eCR Team regarding updates and maintenance.
Please see the CalREDIE Electronic Case Reporting (eCR) informational web page for a list of Electronic Case Reporting (eCR) FAQ's.
HIE Gateway Help
- Phone: (855) 281-4996
- Email: HIEHelp@cdph.ca.gov
eCR Specific Support
- Phone: (866) 866-1428
- Email: CalREDIEHelp@cdph.ca.gov
Just call (855) 281-4996 for support
or e-mail us at HIEHelp@cdph.ca.gov